Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:29:28 -0600
Randall wrote:

> So, does that mean the standard Battery MINDer meets
> the Optima specifications or not ?  If it does, why
> offer a different unit ?  If it doesn't, why advertise
> that it does ?

Yes and no...

>From some research I did a while back:

Supposedly the Optima "wants" to be charged at a slightly higher voltage
than regular batteries.  The Battery MINDer (or Tender Jr.) will charge
the battery, but not optimally.  The special Battery MINDER for Optimas
has the voltage "tweaked" so that it better charges the Optimas - but
don't use that charger for other batteries.

So, yes, you can charge up your Optima with a regular Battery MINDer,
but for the long term (and to prolong the life of the Optima), you would
be better off with the special charger.  That's why they say both
things, and offer both versions.

Of course I could be completely wrong and my memory could be totally out
of whack too.

Tim Mullen