[Shop-talk] Air Compressors

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:45:40 -0500
I returned the little 33 gallon, oil-less, cheapie compressor that I had on
semi-permanent loan from a friend this past weekend.  Now I need a more
permanent solution for my garage.

I will admit right off the bat that I don't really need very much air, and
that the 33-gallon 110V compressor got the job done.  I run the usual
smattering of air tools (impact, cutoff, ratchet, etc.) as well as blow up
tires and such.  I don't like oil-less, because it was noisy, and I don't
like the 33 gallon part because it was noisy pretty frequently.  I'd also
like to know that if I decide to buy a blast cabinet or something for a
project that I can run it.  I'd hate to spend the money and not have the
capacity I need later.

So I'm looking at compressors and narrowing my requirements.  It has to be
oil lubricated, I like the 60 gallon vertical tanks because they're big
enough to hold quite a bit of air, but don't take up a huge amount of my
precious floor space, and I am leaning towards a two-stage pump because that
gets you into the 175 PSI range (effectively increasing your air storage by
1/3).

Right now I'm looking really hard at these three:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919261000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators

Lots of air, but only 135 PSI because it's single stage.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00918298000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators

Now we're talking...  175 PSI and still plenty of air for me.  I like the
'industrial' aspect of this one.  The long service life they quote is
attractive.  More expensive though.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916781000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators

Now you throw this guy in there.  It looks like everything the 2-stage IR is
but better, and much cheaper to boot.  I think that I'd prefer a 60-gal
tank so that it would take a bit less space, but the extra capacity doesn't
hurt either.  I lose the IR name, and I've heard that they make a quality
product.  Does anybody know anything about the quality of the larger Sears
compressors?

Right now Sears is doing 15% off on top of the sale prices on those
compressors, so I could potentially get a pretty good deal if I put in
an order tonight.

I'm ready to throw myself at the mercy of shop-talk for advice...