Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:23:07 -0800
> poorly, once you understand the motivations behind stuff.  As you say,
> lug studs have been around forever, so if they're using lug bolts, they
> have a reason.

Nope, Europe's always been bolt-country, the US has long been stud-country.

> One other possible advantage of lug bolts... I bet it makes
> fabrication/assembly cheaper.  You just need to thread the holes in the
> hub flange (which can probably be done at the same time as other
> machining) vs. press in studs (which almost certainly can't).

You could argue the other way 'round too, a thread-cutting operation is
comparatively expensive compared to boring a hole.

It's really a non-issue there, because once you add up the whole parts
count and cost the automaker is just telling the supplier "We want this,
done this way, and we'll pay this much" and the hub comes through the
door either threaded or with studs in it.

> Most folks don't change their wheels very often... Even if you only change
> wheels/tires for winter vs. summer you're doing it more often than the
> average car owner.

Maybe true in the US, but seasonal wheel swaps are probably more common
elsewhere.

John.