Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, "David Hillman"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:57:46 -0500
On Dec 20, 2007 11:45 AM, Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, David Hillman wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Steven Trovato wrote:
> >> So, what's the big problem with these that would make you react so
>strongly?
> >
> >    It's just a bad design.  And it's a bad design that someone went
> > through the trouble of coming up with, to replace a better design.
> >
> >    For example, let's say that someone came out with a new design for a
> > computer keyboard, but for no reason at all, they made it so it only
> > works while held upside down.  So, in order to type, you have hold the
> > thing over your head with one hand, and type with the other.
> > Eventually, the aftermarket would probably come out with a $25 bolt you
> > could use to mount the keyboard over your head so you can type with both
> > hands, but it's still a completely stupid design.
> >
> >    That's what someone did with lug bolts.
>
> I think its pretty rare that a car company actually designs something
> poorly, once you understand the motivations behind stuff.  As you say,
> lug studs have been around forever, so if they're using lug bolts, they
> have a reason.
>
> That reason may not make sense to _you_, but its certainly there.

The reason they do this is that it makes the wheels concentric to the
wheel bearing.  That means less wear on the bearing, less vibration at
speed, better braking and steering performance.  There's a reason the
marques using bolts are Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, etc,
and not Ford, Chevrolet, and Toyota.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com