Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:45:09 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, David Hillman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Steven Trovato wrote:
>> So, what's the big problem with these that would make you react so strongly?
>
>    It's just a bad design.  And it's a bad design that someone went
> through the trouble of coming up with, to replace a better design.
>
>    For example, let's say that someone came out with a new design for a
> computer keyboard, but for no reason at all, they made it so it only
> works while held upside down.  So, in order to type, you have hold the
> thing over your head with one hand, and type with the other.
> Eventually, the aftermarket would probably come out with a $25 bolt you
> could use to mount the keyboard over your head so you can type with both
> hands, but it's still a completely stupid design.
>
>    That's what someone did with lug bolts.

I think its pretty rare that a car company actually designs something
poorly, once you understand the motivations behind stuff.  As you say,
lug studs have been around forever, so if they're using lug bolts, they
have a reason.

That reason may not make sense to _you_, but its certainly there.

One other possible advantage of lug bolts... I bet it makes
fabrication/assembly cheaper.  You just need to thread the holes in the
hub flange (which can probably be done at the same time as other
machining) vs. press in studs (which almost certainly can't).

Most folks don't change their wheels very often... Even if you only change
wheels/tires for winter vs. summer you're doing it more often than the
average car owner.  If I were a car maker with that kinda target market,
I'd certainly save money on production at the cost of slightly more hassle
when changing wheels.

Mark