Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:53:16 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, David Hillman wrote:
>    I'm sort-of shopping for my wife's next car, and have recently
> learned that two of the would-be candidates feature this insane method
> of wheel attachment called the 'lug bolt'.  Now, I had a Alfa years ago
> that used these, and the day I sold it, I vowed never again to be stupid
> enough to buy such a car.  Actually, I think I made that vow every damn
> I had to put a wheel on that car, but it was Italian, so you expected
> some hassle.
>
>    But, the choices are pretty slim apart from these two cars... so can
> anyone give me some good reason why I shouldn't think lug bolts are one
> of the greatest mistakes in automotive engineering history?  What is
> their purpose, other than to take a perfectly good design and ruin it
> completely?  Are they the result of a bunch of German engineers getting
> way too drunk on dark beer at a Christmas party, and betting each other
> to see who could come up with the worst idea?

I'm no particular fan of lug bolts, but its pretty easy to convert to
standard studs/nuts.  I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a car I
wanted otherwise.

The only advantage I can think of with lug bolts is that you just need to
match the lug bolts with the wheel, and they'll always be the right
length.  With studs/nuts, its possible that you'll need to change the
studs for longer/shorter ones to make things fit well.  Of course, that
wouldn't seem to matter to an OEM, where they presumably have a lot of
control over the wheels.

Mark