Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:37:26 -0600
David Scheidt

> The computer can do it a whole hell of a lot faster than
> you can, and can do it one wheel at a time.
> I very much doubt you can stop faster than good ABS.

Not only that, but in a panic situation, you tend to not be able to
threshold brake nearly as well.

There is a major difference between driving on the edge at a track where
you are expecting to manipulate the brakes right on the edge, and
suddenly need to slam on the brakes because some car has suddenly cut in
front of you.

In the daily driving scenario, the ABS is going to do a much better job
of stopping that you are.  On the track at 10/10ths, it may be a
different story.

Everyone should practice with their ABS system every now an then.  Take
the car up to around 60, and absolutely stand on the brake - get used to
the feel of the pedal vibrating, and keeping it there.

Tim Mullen