Re: [Shop-talk] Question on Dryway sanding / cleanup

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question on Dryway sanding / cleanup
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:04:53 -0500
On 11/12/07, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
> eric@megageek.com wrote:
> >> Any better methods for sanding?  Since we're starting with a painted
> >> surface, I don't think the "screen" type abrasive cloths I've seen sold
> >> for drywall work would work well.
> >
> > Have you tried an electric razor?  8>)
>
> Haha.... no have not.  I think they're a little too coarse for that.
> The wife has some  little battery powered shaver for removing lint-piles
> from sweaters, but also not up to the task.
>
> > Seriosuly, what are the fibers from?  Is it the paper of the sheet rock or
> > an old wallpaper?
>
> That's what I'm not sure of.  I wish I had some way to contact the
> builder and ask him what the heck happened. It's like the bare drywall
> paper surface got wet, and someone took a wire brush to it  :(

How long are the exposed fibers.  If they're not terribly long, I'd
try a high build drywall primer.  The stuff I've used was called
something like "super-hide".  It could go on quite thick - two coats
were enough to hide the impressions left by someone writing on the
wall with a ball point pen.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com