Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:29:11 -0500
WOW!  A ton of great advice!

First, I can't believe how many people here are married 30+ years.  Maybe
it has something to do with the mindset of a person that loves cars and
tools.  Maybe we learn to cherish the things in the world that are special
to us (old cars, old, uh, I mean, our women.)  8>)

Just so you all know, I'm only 36 years old as of last month.  To think
that many of you have been married longer than Ibve been alive!  Wow!

As for me, I've learned that both people in a relationship need their own
time to do their things and get away from each other for awhile.  My only
worry is the stuff she loves to do, I love also.  The only thing that we
don't have in common is my DIY habit.  Although she seems genuinely
impressed when I do a job.  (She grew up in NYC and has never touched a
wrenched herself.  City folk just call other people and pay them to fix
things.)

She just moved into a new building in the city and the first I did was
"fix" a bunch of stuff in the apartment with nothing more than my
leatherman.  She was so impressed to see a refrigerator door moved, windows
unlocked (they only open a small amount), lights hung, switches fixed, and
a ton of other minor things get done in mere minutes.

I only worry that at some point this many not impress her any more.  I just
bought a wood lathe and I'm slowly teaching myself how to use it.
Normally, if Ibm working on a project, I make something for her.  That way
I learn and she gets a keepsake.

If this works out, I'm inviting all of you to the wedding!  8>)

And Drew, as for why the nickname changed.  I was tried of explaining the
"Inch" story, and people remember "Moose" much better.  (I'm a pretty big
guy.)

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos