[Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:32:38 -0500
Ok, a few years ago I lost a relationship because, among other problems, my
girlfriend was very jealous of my shop and the time I spent doing projects
in there.  Note, it was mostly projects that NEEDED to get done.  i.e.
brakes needed to be replaced, lawn mower needs work to start etc.
I tried to include her in the projects when I could, but that didnbt work.
Now, that relationship was doomed for other reasons as well, so this wasnbt
the only problem and Ibm totally over it.

But, Ibm in a new relationship and things are pretty serious.  Right now
things are going great because she lives about 1.5 hours away, so we donbt
get to see each other all the time.  But, if we move in together and take
it to the next level, I suspect I might see many of the same problems.  Ibm
wondering if the married guys here want to give up some secrets to avoiding
issues like these in the future.  For the few women we have on the list,
Ibd love to hear your perspectives as well.

Before you get started, please know that I understand bbalance.b  I donbt
spend every free minute in the shop.  But I want to make sure I still have
time for my bfunb projects (like a motorized scuba gear lift, my bicycle
shopping cart, or making my own 3pt air compressor for sand blasting.)
These projects were put aside in the last relationship and I want to make
sure I donbt give up the bmeb time for them.

Any yes, I know that bif she really loves me, shebll understand.b  Ibm just
looking for the gems of wisdoms from everyone there thatbs been there.

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos