Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:39:23 -0500
At 06:44 PM 10/28/2007 -0500, Bill Gingerich wrote:

>I had a very similar situation at work a few months ago.  Multiple toilets
>bubbling, all other drains working fine.  I figured it was a vent issue.  I
>called the plumber, who told me that every time he has seen this problem, it
>was a clog in the drain lines somewhere.  He came out, ran his camera down
>the main, dislodged something in the main, and the problem went away.  It
>wasn't the vent at all.  I was surprised, but hey, I'm just the IT guy.

Bill et al.

Thanks for the input Bill.

Well the follow up, or the Rest of The Story.

After I got the several emails about checking the vent I called a buddy,
as he has a fish tape longer than anything I have.  I told him what we
were going to do.  It shouldn't mess up his fish tape.

While waiting for him to show up, the toilets and everything was working
fine.  About the time he showed up, the toilets quite flushing.  So we
tried to plunge them.  Again to no avail.  BUT, this time water and dirt
started to fill the tub and shower.  So as Bill said, that ment a big
clog.  I was talking with my wife and buddy, we've had a sever drought
here this year.  So my thought was now that any water leaching from the
waste pipe would have attracted the tree and scrub roots.  So I opted
to call Roto Rooter.  I must say, I was very impressed with their
communications.  After the initial call, they said a tech, had just finished
a job and was on his way.  About 15 min. later, I got a call back from
them that he'd gotten tied up and it would be about 1 hr before a tech
was here.  15 min. later I got a 3rd call saying that he was on his way.
15 min. later he was at my front door.  I showed him the toilets and
bath tub & shower.  He went looking for a cleanout.  Unfortunately, in my
neighbor hood they didn't install any cleanouts, at least not that he
could find.  I told him there was 1 under the house.  He didn't want to
go there, as then the toilets and tubs would drain under the house.  He
dug out his heavy duty auger/snake and went in through the roof vent.
About 160' worth!  He said he hit something a couple of times but after
the 2nd blockage, it went smoothly.

After 2 hr of him working, he had to call a helper to run the snake as he
had to be on the roof, and $350 lighter, everything is working great.
I can't say it was the best $350 I've ever spent, but I haven't really
had to have a plumber out since I've owned the house, 24 yrs.  I've been
able to handle most of the problems.  So all in all, I guess I made out
pretty well.

I have to say, if you need any plumbing help like this, I highly recommend
Roto Rooter!!!

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229