Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:30:06 +0000
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
> I also live in a one-story ranch on a slab (although my drains have
> cleanouts).  Thought tree roots were my problem too, especially since they
> have damaged a wall & the front porch.  But the camera showed the main line
> to be clean as a whistle, no sign of roots at all.  However, there are some
> joints with a bit too much spacing, might be leaking, so the plumber tried
> to convince me to replace the line from the house to the street, for 'only'
> $10,000.

I don't know your area, and I have not seen your property layout, but that
sounds really high to me.  Total replacements are generally half of that.
$10,000 replacement jobs are rare here, and usually involve some weird
circumstance.

NEVER replace a sewer service without getting bids.  Roto Rooter loves to
fast-track customers into a replacement before the customer wakes up and calls
us for a list of licensed contractors.  We always recommend that the customer
calls every contractor on the list.  Each contractor calls us for faxed copies
of our records, and calls Streets for info to estimate street restoration
charges, then makes a bid.

> Perhaps I'm being foolish, but since it's only been a problem once in over
> 15 years, I figure I'll wait until it happens again.  Or at least until the
> grass turns greener over the sewer line <G>

After a TV job, I'd agree.  Here, we advise customers to always get a recording
from the TV guy.  They can bring them in here to the office and we will look at
them and advise.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,