Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 07:19:50 -0500
At 04:09 AM 10/29/2007 +0000, Phil Ethier wrote:

>You don't have basements in your part of the world?

Nope!  I'm in Virginia Beach, VA, the far south eastern portion and
have both the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay around us.  I
think the highest natural elevations is something like 6 to 10' above
see level.  I know of at least 2 houses in the metro area that do
have basements, but these houses were built on graded land.  They pushed
the land up to make a knoll then built the house, or build the basement
on the ground, then pushed dirt up to the top of the basement and continued
building the house.

So typically diging 1 to 3' down we hit ground water.  I'm definately
a "Flatlander".  I have trouble walking up anykind of grade. :)

>Hereabouts, if they can't find a cleanout, they pull a toilet off the floor.
>I have never heard of a sewer cleaner going on a roof to clear a drain.

A neighbor suggested that approach.  I see the validity to that especially
if you have a 2 or more story house.  But most of the homes in this
neighborhood, and a I'd almost say most in the metro area are 1 story
ranch houses.  So, the time & expense to pull a toilet seem like more
work than going down through the main vent.  If I were going to try and
rent a powered snake and do it myself, I'd have probably pulled the toilet.

>I suggest you get the sewer line televised.  When there are problems, there
>is a reason.  A well-designed system in proper condition never needs the
>services of a sewer cleaner like Roto-Rooter.

We have quite a few trees and bushes around the sewer pipe.  So my guess
is that their roots got into the drain line.  I know this is a common
occurrance, as several friends have had this problem.  As I said in a
previous email, we've had a bad drought, so I think all the trees/bushes
were looking for any water they could find and went into the sewer lines.

Roto Rooter sold me some stuff called "Root Destroyer".  It is some large
crystals, that you are supposed to put a few into each toilet, once a
month, and flush the toilet.  They disolve and attact the roots.  So you
don't have this problem, hopefully. :)

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229