Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question

To: jblair1948@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:51:15 GMT
Definitely strange.  Can't imagine the house was plumbed with separate paths
for black & grey water (which would explain a little).  The chance of 2
separate plugs that clear simultaneously doesn't make sense either.  Is there
a common vent?
Matt

-- "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net> wrote:
Gang,

I had an interesting thing happen to my plumbing yesterday that I can't
explain.

For starters, I'm on city water and sewage - no well or spetic tank, etc.

No one was home by me.  I turned on the dishwasher and did a small load
of clothes in the washing machine.  If I remember correctly, both of these
had completed before my problem started.

I heard gurggling.  Went into the 2 bathrooms, and the toilets were both
gurggling - almost like the water was boiling.  Water moving, and loud
gurggling.  After say 10 seconds it stopped.  About 15 minutes later I
tried to flush each toilet, but the water would not empty from the bowl.

Now here is the strange part.  I tried running water in all the sinks and
they all seemed to be draining fine, but the toilets still would not drain.
I tried to plunge both of the toilets quite a bit to no avail.

I'm thinking great.  We've got a wedding to go to, so I know what I'll be
doing tonight.  My wife came home from running an errand, and I told her
that the toilets won't flush.  I didn't realize it, but she then proceeded
to take a shower to get ready for the wedding.  When I went back into our
bathroom and found her in the shower (No guys, I didn't join her, I was
trying to figure out why the toilets didn't flush), I asked her if the water
in the showner was draining for was the shower filling up.  She said no,
the water was draining fine.

Now probably an hour had passed and the water in the toilet bowels was down
to about normal.  So I turned the water back on for the toilets and tried to
flush them again.  No luck.  So I shut off the water to the toilet again.

We went to the wedding and had a great time.  I guess we were gone for about
5 to 6 hrs.  When we returned, I turned the water to the toilets back on and
tried to flush them again.  Every thing worked fine.  And is working fine
today.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  If there were a clog in 1 toilet, I'd
understand.  But both toilets not flushing?  That makes me think that I have
a major blockage somewhere between the city sewer and my house.  But if that
were true, why would the washing machine, dishwasher, sinks, and shower all
drain.  They all empty to the same waste line from the house don't they?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Do I need to get a rotor rooter
guy out here?  Or just let it go and see if it happens again?  The loud
gurggling has happened a couple of times before.  Usually when it does,
the toilet bowl are just about emptied of water.  But they will flush.

We've been in this house for about 24 yrs and never had a plumbing problem.

TIA

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229