Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0500
> On my '31 Model A, I had many engine and drivetrain
> parts with that crust on them.  I tried soaking some
> in a kerosene-based parts cleaner for 3 months, and it
> had no effect.  I tried boiling some in a 50/50
> water/Simple Green solution, and it had little effect.
> But the oven cleaner melted the crud in a few hours.
>
> One big catch: It WILL remove any paint.

Must not have had any original Ford paint on there, or maybe they changed
formulations by the Model A.  My 1916 Model T had some original paint on the
fenders and the drivetrain components (the ones that were painted) that just
would NOT come off after days of hot caustic.  That paint only stripped
partially with the meanest automotive and aircraft stripper we could buy,
and this was in the 1960's before all the OSHA and environmental changes
started.

Karl