Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:06:31 -0700
I used oven cleaner for years to clean really nasty, gunky truck and
motorcycle engines; it worked great, but as was pointed out, keep it off
stuff you want to stay painted.  I also collect and restore Stanley hand
planes and Coleman lanterns.  I will frequently boil a font (fuel tank) in
a lye solution, then rinse it and cook it in a citric acid solution.  The
first takes off all the paint, grease and dirt, and the second takes all
the rust off.  I also boil handplanes in the citric acid solution and it's
amazing how it takes the rust off.  It doesn't hurt the paint, which is
Japan Enamel, and tough as hell.