Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
For really nasty gunky parts, especially those with a
cement-like crust of road dust and dried grease,
Easy-Off Heavy-Duty Original Oven Cleaner (in the
yellow spray can) works better than anything else I
have ever tried.

On my '31 Model A, I had many engine and drivetrain
parts with that crust on them.  I tried soaking some
in a kerosene-based parts cleaner for 3 months, and it
had no effect.  I tried boiling some in a 50/50
water/Simple Green solution, and it had little effect.
 But the oven cleaner melted the crud in a few hours.

One big catch: It WILL remove any paint.

Also, accept no substitute.  I tried the supermarket
house brand, and it barely worked.

Doug