RE: Follow Up: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow Up: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank
From: "Phil Nase" <bugi1960@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:17:35 -0400
So if I want to get some rust out of a resleeved master cylinder tank I can
just use vinegar?  I guess the trouble would be keeping it out of the bores.
Any other ideas to clean it up?

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa

At 10:42 AM  5/24/2007  -0700, Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
>If phosphoric acid is too nasty for you, you can use acetic acid (aka
>white vinegar) right out of the bottle but it is very slow.  Heat
>helps.
Citric acid works very well on rust, too. I buy it in 1# bags at the brewery
store (it's cheaper in bulk on the web and I may do that next time). I mix a
saturated solution in hot water in a big pot and then cook my parts (usually
old Coleman lantern or stove parts) and the rust just goes away. I reuse the
solution until it doesn't work or is too nasty and then dump it on the
gravel driveway.

Dave C