Re: Follow Up: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Follow Up: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:13:14 -0700
At 10:42 AM  5/24/2007  -0700, Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
>If phosphoric acid is too nasty for you, you can use acetic acid (aka
>white vinegar) right out of the bottle but it is very slow.  Heat
>helps.
Citric acid works very well on rust, too. I buy it in 1# bags at the
brewery store (it's cheaper in bulk on the web and I may do that next
time). I mix a saturated solution in hot water in a big pot and then cook
my parts (usually old Coleman lantern or stove parts) and the rust just
goes away. I reuse the solution until it doesn't work or is too nasty and
then dump it on the gravel driveway.

Dave C