Re: Follow Up: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Follow Up: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:42:48 -0700
Muriatic acid must be neutralized thoroughly and carefully or it will
keep on working on the clean metal indefinitely.  Neutralized acid
isn't particularly hazardous stuff, and might even supply iron to your
plants.  I like to use phosphoric acid.

Phosphoric acid works well, isn't particularly  nasty or dangerous in
the concentrations supplied, and cleans up with water.  It is slower
than muriatic acid but prefers 'eating' rust to removing good metal,
unlike muriatic.  See the team.net website article on rust removal
chemistry.

If phosphoric acid is too nasty for you, you can use acetic acid (aka
white vinegar) right out of the bottle but it is very slow.  Heat
helps.

-Roland