Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:05:35 -0800
   It really comes down to how often you are going to use the lift
and for what.  I assume most homeowners (like most of us on this
list) are looking for a lift to help with the car work but it is nice
to use as storage also.

  Yes, a 2-post is the way to go for suspension or brake work but I
prefer to do my suspension and brake correctly the first time so I
don't have to redo it again anytime soon.  For me that means that I
can live with the hassles of using a jack tray and scissor jack under
my car since I only have to do once.  I have pics with all 4 wheels
off on my car on my 4-post lift, it was not a big deal and because I
did it right the first time, I might not have to do that again on
that car for many years.  I only own 3 drivers, I can go years
without having to do suspension work.

  Oil changes are drive on, lift, pull the drain plug, no hassles
with arms and lifting points, etc.  I recently pulled the gearbox
which meant removing the exhaust and driveshaft, etc. and it was nice
and easy, I am not sure a 2-post would have made it any easier.  As a
matter of fact the ramps make great tool storage when working under the car.

   And when not in use for work, its a great storage area.  I did
have to search around for a 4-post that could handle the track width
of my pre-war Singer's but I found one without too much trouble and
many have moveable ramps as well.

   Now, if you don't do your suspension or brake correctly and you
need to redo it every weekend to keep it from falling apart or you
have some race car that you throw around the race track every
weekend, then ok, you need a 2-post, otherwise a 4-post will do you just fine.

   One more detail, in Santa Barbara (where  I live) a 2-post lift
needs a permit since it is bolted to the foundation and becomes part
of the house, that means they will check the concrete thickness, if
it has rebar or not and then all the wiring and stuff.  A 4-post
needs nothing since it is not bolted down, I don't know how many
other cities have this rule, might only be the Republic of Santa
Barbara but just another thought to think.

        mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer       mikey@b2systems.com
http://www.dinospider.com/  all about the ULTIMATE ALMOST a Ferrari