Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 04:33:18 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Mike Lee wrote:
> The 2 post lift:
>  requires a thicker concrete pad
>  needs greater overhead clearance (for the crossbar)
>  requires greater undercar clearance (for the lift pads)
>  may not be able to open doors depending on post location
>  distinctly possible to have car fall off lift if not balanced correctly
> The 4 post lift:
>  requires additional jacks for wheel/suspension work.

The 4 post also requires a hardhat, so you don't get injured quite as
often... :-)

For maintanance work, I'd choose a 2 post.  Much easier to work around,
doesn't get in the way like a 4 post does.  I've used both a decent bit.

If you need the ability to move it, have a concrete pad that is marginal,
want to use it for parking, or want to use it for alignments / corner
weighting, then I agree a 4 post is better.

But for general maintenance?  I'd much rather have the two post.

Mark