RE: diesel generators

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: diesel generators
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:46:21 -0800
> I'm not looking to run the whole house on it, I'm
> just looking to keep the basics running - no 30KW needed. How simple a
> system design could I create to do this? Manual transfer is fine.

Depending on how manual is acceptable, the simplest design is probably to put
the whole house on a single transfer switch, and then manually turn off
everything you don't want to run from your genset.  But if you goof, the genset
will likely go off-line, meaning no power to anything.

To do it "right", you would want separate circuits for "reliable" and "normal"
power, with only the "reliable" circuits on transfer switch(es).  You can buy
different colored outlets to indicate which is which (we used orange for
"reliable").

> I do
> have gear on UPS, and I'd like the UPS to accept the power it is fed from
> the generator...

Should be no problem.  The UPS should drop to battery while you are
transferring, and then switch back to line once the genset is providing power.

Randall