Re: diesel generators

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>,shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: diesel generators
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:14:00 -0800
At 06:32 PM  12/17/2006  -0500, John T. Blair wrote:

>Do you have gas service out there?  Have you thought about going to a propane
>fired generator?
>
>Many places have city supplied gas or propane delivery trucks.  The best
>part about these is you don't need much electricty to pump the fuel.  If
>the entire area is out of electricity, how are you going to pump the diesel?
>
>You can store a lot more propane or if you have natural gas, easier than
>storing the gas/diesel.

I have given that option some thought as well.  I don't have natural gas,
but I do have two propane tanks, one for the house, and a smaller one for
the shop.  I thought about hooking up an LP gas powered generator, but I
still think I'm going to go with diesel.  The LP generators all run at 3600
rpm and a lot of them use modified light industrial or automotive engines,
and have spark ignitions.  The diesels I'm looking at are 1800 rpm, so
better fuel economy, and diesels are generally more robust than gas
engines.  Also, if we have a big snowstorm or disaster the propane trucks
might not be running, but my jeep probably will be, and I could put a lot
of jerry cans of diesel in the back of the jeep if need be.  I had planned
to keep 150 to 200 gallons of diesel on hand all the time, and if necessary
can pump it with a hand pump if necessary.