Re: diesel generators

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: diesel generators
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:32:10 -0500
At 11:42 PM 12/14/2006 -0800, David C. wrote:

>As you might have seen on the news (or experienced, for our PNW folks) we
>had a nasty windstorm last week and pretty much the entire Puget Sound area
>went black.  I live out in the boonies and have a big 8KW welder/generator
>and transfer switches, but a lot of suburban and urban folks don't and a
>lot of people still don't have power, with no idea when they will.....

>I figure if I go with an 1800 rpm diesel I can cut my fuel
>consumption in half and store 50 to 100 gallons of diesel almost
>indefinitely; I would also be able to use it in my two diesel tractors, so
>it wouldn't get totally stale.  The problem is there aren't a lot of 1800
>rpm gensets around in this size range.....

>Yanmar, Cummins and Mitsubishi engines.  Anyone have any opinions or
>alternatives?  I have an old early 80s Mitsubishi 16HP tractor, and that
>thing is bulletproof, FWIW.

Dave,

Do you have gas service out there?  Have you thought about going to a propane
fired generator?

Many places have city supplied gas or propane delivery trucks.  The best
part about these is you don't need much electricty to pump the fuel.  If
the entire area is out of electricity, how are you going to pump the diesel?

You can store a lot more propane or if you have natural gas, easier than
storing the gas/diesel.

Just my 2cents.  I've thought about generators, and after every hurricane
we get, there is always a big discussion at work about gens, and fuel storage.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan