RE: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:24:35 -0400
Speaking of saws from Harbor Freight...

I bought a "rope saw" from HF some time back.  It has a section of
"double sided" (it cuts in both directions) chain saw chain with a
couple of long pieces of rope.  One rope has a "bean bag" on the end.

To use it, you toss the bean bag over the branch that you need to cut.
Then stand back with the rope at about a 45 degree angle.  The weights
on the chain cause it to flip in the right direction, and you
alternately pull the ropes with a sawing (pun intention) motion.

It works great for those branches that are high up in the tree and you
don't want to climb of try to use a ladder to reach.  It was cheap
too...  Here you go, a link to the thing:
<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32924>
although it was cheaper when I bought it...

Tim Mullen