Re: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?

To: Ron Schmittou <rs1121@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:13:17 -0400
Ron Schmittou wrote:
> Just curious on the list wisdom of emptying the tank and then running
> the carb dry before storage.

   My other hobby is antique outboards, which are almost universally two
stroke.

   Personally, I have strong opinion, but often brought up in this
discussion is that, when you run a two stroke dry on gas, you also run
it dry on oil.

   For any two stroke with more than one carb, I would caution against
this, because one carb with fuel can keep the motor running, where the
other carb has none. Therefore, in a four cylinder two stroke with a top
carb and a bottom carb, the top two cylinders go dry of oil for as long
as the bottom carb can keep the motor running.

   For a smaller two stroke, that time is a fair bit less, but still...