RE: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:45:20 -0400
I'll be different than some of the others...

I have a 10 year (or so) old Craftsman chain saw.  It works just fine.
It doesn't have a lot of fancy features (other than automatic chain
oiling), but it works.  I don't use it a lot, just occasional tree
trimming and cutting up big (long) log into firewood size chunks.
Occasionally use it to cut off a limb of a tree, etc. as necessary.  It
works just fine and didn't cost much (especially since I bought it on
sale).  I don't do anything special when I put it up, but it still
usually starts up pretty easily.  Last time I used it, it had been
hanging in the shed for at least a year.  I topped off the fuel tank,
and yanked the rope starter 6 or 7 times and it fired right up (no
preservatives in the fuel or anything).

It all depends on what you are going to use it for, how much, and how
often.  My Craftsman works for occasional use just fun.

As for needing service, again, it depends on how much you are going to
need it.  I've never done anything to my chain saw beyond adjusting the
tension on the chain and sharpening or replacing the blade when it
dulls.  The parts - if any are needed - are readily available from Sears
by mail or in the store (chains, etc.).

Again, it depends on how much you are going to actually use it.  If you
have a large need, get a profession saw.  Occasional use?  Craftsman
just may be preferred...

Tim Mullen