Re: Frozen Lug nuts

To: "Michael Godley" <mgodley@tiac.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Frozen Lug nuts
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:45:41 -0400
Are you sure the 'frozen' lug nuts are not locking lug nuts?

Determine if the 'chrome' lug nuts are really just a thin metal cap
over a steel nut underneath.

If so, drilling through the cap will certainly allow you to apply
penetrating oil to the studs/nuts. Removing the thin cap* and then
using a 6-point socket that fits the 'real' nut underneath might allow
you to apply loosening force more effectively also.

* But I don't know how you'd remove the 'cap' with the lug nuts in the
wheel...

Eric Russell
STOC #2860
Mebane, NC