Re: Frozen Lug nuts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frozen Lug nuts
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:56:57 -0400
At 11:16 AM 10/12/2006 -0400, Michael Godley wrote:

>Went to get new rear tires on my Jeep (94 Grand Cherokee) and they (NTB)
could not get the wheels off as one lug nut on each side defied their most
powerful air guns and hand wrenches.

Michael,

WOW!  30 yrs ago when I worked in a tire shop, I didn't have any trouble
wringing wheel studs off with the air or electric impact guns.  What are
they using a $30 gun? :)

Before I tried the heat, I'd spray it with PB Blast and then get the correct
socket, a breaker bar, and a section of pipe.  That usually exerts more
torque than an impact gun, and I've always been able to get the nuts off
that way, even if the nuts were cross threaded and drive on with an air
gun.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic