Re: Parking Lifts

To: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Subject: Re: Parking Lifts
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:27:34 -0500
Mullen, Tim (IIS) wrote:
> I've been curious about lifts and actually have permission to buy one,
> but my current garage has a low roof, and we plan on moving in a couple
> of years - so I haven't checked into all the details...

   For what it's worth, I moved my four post across town for about $75.

   Call a few towing companies, they do it often enough that one will
probably say "yah, we'll send out Joey, he does this all the time".

   In my case, the guy who came out knew what he was doing and it was a
doddle.

   When you buy one it comes completely disassembled, but I didn't have
to disassemble mine at all. The carriage stayed in one piece on the
flatbed and we just lifted the four posts on top still attached.

   So if you are moving in a few years, don't hold off the hoist just to
avoid moving it. No biggie at all.

> It also seems that the lower cost units can run on 120 volt instead of a
> dedicated 240 volt connection.

   If it matters, my hoist had an option on ordering of 110 or 220V. I
chose 220V, because running 220V to where it was going was easy, there
was a disused subpanel that used to run a large electric furnace.

   They can be converted fairly easily between one or the other, at most
you'd have to change the motor. On many you might be able to change it
without parts, just wiring it up differently.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, trevor@boicey.com