RE: Parking Lifts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Parking Lifts
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:56:46 -0500
Larry Spector wrote:

> The question I have is why go with a home use "parking
> lift" (Backyard Buddy, etc.), instead of a 4-post service
> lift (Bend-Pak, Rotary, etc.)?

I've been curious about lifts and actually have permission to buy one,
but my current garage has a low roof, and we plan on moving in a couple
of years - so I haven't checked into all the details...

That said, I suspect that the biggest difference (besides the large
difference in price) is the speed at which it raises.  For commercial
use, it would probably be better to have a higher capacity and faster
lift.  For home use, I don't need a 7000 pound lift (heck my cars are
sports cars and two are Lotuses), and if I had to wait 120 seconds
instead of 30 seconds, I can handle that just fine.

It also seems that the lower cost units can run on 120 volt instead of a
dedicated 240 volt connection.

Both types seem to have the necessary accessories available to work on
cars however.

Tim Mullen