Re: How do I stop this madness?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: How do I stop this madness?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:06:04 -0500
On 12/7/05, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2005, at 11:32 PM, Trevor Boicey wrote:
> >
> >   This one is caused by Eric's mail setup. His outgoing mail has it's
> > headers munged from the machine he sends it from, which is at
> > megageek.
> >
> >   So when Eric gets involved in a conversation, some of the replies
> > get misdirected and misaddressed.
> >

> Ah, ok. Also, I realized that I don't get two copies even when a copy
> is sent to me and the list. This is probably because (treading
> dangerously close to setting off the BS meter) each message has an ID,
> and my mail client recognizes the ID is the same for the private copy
> and the list copy so it discards one as duplicate.

That's possible.  It's also possible that your ISP does filtering on
Message-ID.  One of mine did that.  Mild application of the clue-stick
got them to stop though.  (If you can't see why it might be a bad
idea, consider this case:  a thread that's cross-posted between two
mailing lists you subscribe to.  Which list delivers you a message is
non-deterministic; therefore, which folder ends up with the message is
too.  That makes it very hard to follow, at best. )
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com