Re: and now, computer questions...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: and now, computer questions...
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:19:25 -0400
I gave up trying to stay current with all the CPU stuff a couple
years ago.  A PC is so much more than a CPU speed rating.  Bus speed,
disk speed, size of caches, etc...  video refresh gets more important
the older you are.

tom's hardware should have a definitive guide on what the true comparisons are.

At 07-09-2005 at 16:43, Shakespearean monkeys danced on
scott.hall@comcast.net's keyboard and said:

>and we are now far afield, but I'm asking anyway, since y'all know
>everything and you aren't trying to sell me something:
>
>dual-core (pentium-d) or p4ht?
>
>I've googled enough to understand what's going on, and I've seen the
>reviews, I'm asking more like is dual-core going to be the sony
>beta, and I should stick with p4ht or not?  am I better off with
>p4ht, dollar-for-for dollar, etc.?
>
>the p-d seems to run slightly slower (2.8 vs. 3.6) but I don't game
>that much and when I do it runs fine on the old 1.9 ghx machine, so
>that really shouldn't be an issue.  I do multi-task all the time, though.
>
>overall, if you were buying the machine, what would you get?
>
>don't see pentium 4 on the dell website, and the circuit city beat
>most of their prices.  the dual-core machine is a gateway for $850, fwiw.
>
>thanks, y'all.  my cable is still broken, though so haven't needed
>to actually purchase yet...

Cheers!