Re: and now, computer questions...

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: and now, computer questions...
From: "Marknsuz" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:47:08 -0700
> my biggest question is how can/do I test the components?  I have a
> voltmeter, but it's the standard home/auto kind.  is there a way to tell
> what's toast without just swapping in new parts?  I'd like to at least
> have a go at it before I pay comp usa $99 just to diagnose the problem.
> or am I a moron to even consider it, and these are very delicate parts not
> to be fooled with by mere mortals?
>
> thanks in advance...I'm kinda weirded out with no 'net access at home...
>
> scott

You can get a Dell machine complete for well under $500.  And the newer
versions of Windows ship with a 'transfer your old hard disk contents to
your new hard disk' utility that should bring your pictures over, if the
hard disk isn't toasted.  If it is you can still get the pictures back
(we're assuming here that they aren't all backed up on disks) for a bunch of
$$ from disk recovery companies.  Not cheap, but better than the
alternatives.

Good luck,
Mark Miller