Re: home networking

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: home networking
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:24:15 -0400
Trevor answered it but for those who can't read betweeen the lines.....

As soon as the guy in the street sees your MAC fly across in his
sniffer - and he will be using a sniffer - he has the key to the door.

The prices are cheap enough now and WPA2 offers real security so that
for 2 NICs and a router you're out less than the first visit with a
lawyer once the kiddie porn ring is traced to your IP address by the
ISP and you get raided.  Or some p2p guys use your connection and you
get the RIAA lawsuit because it was your IP.  etc...

At 07-08-2005 at 18:29, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Mike
Rambour's keyboard and said:

>>MAC filtering is one of the biggest jokes in wireless
>>security.  Along with don't broadcast the SSID, use WEP, keep the
>>WAP in the center of the house, disable DHCP, etc....
>
>   its off-subject but can I ask why is MAC filtering a joke ?  I
> realize it is extremely easy to spoof a MAC address but the guy in
> the street parking his car and trying to use my wi-fi connection
> will not know my MAC addresses, so it would seem secure.  And the
> advantage is that it does not slow down the connection like WEP
> does, so you can get full speed of the wi-fi connection.
>
>  My house is wired but I do have 2 laptops and use MAC filtering
> when they are turned on which is not often within the house.  I
> turn off WEP and within minutes I have several DHCP connections due
> to the proximity of neighbors but with MAC filtering, I have not
> seen another connection yet.
>
>   Feel free to reply off-list since its so far off subject but
> since no one has complained yet, maybe others are wondering why MAC
> filtering is so bad (I hope they dont know why which would make me
> stupid for not knowing).

Cheers!