furnace question (again)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: furnace question (again)
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:57:46 -0800
Hey guys,

this is probably pushing the limits of "shop talk", but since the
furnace does heat the house that surrounds the shop...

Our existing furnace has finally "had it" - after getting the beast
vaccumed last (gotta love oil units), we found that the
heat exchanger has cracked, and (unlike last time) replacement heat
exchagers are no longer available for this unit...

So...  Is there a good faq out there somewhere on furnace "stuff" (in
the past I've found surprisingly little useful
info on the web WRT hvac stuff, and...)?  who makes "good" and "bad"
units?  Which fuel is gonna be cheaper
going forward (oil, gas, or...?).  I was also thinking of getting an
electrostatic air cleaner stuffed in - any thoughts on this?

Any info, pointers, horror stories, helpful tips, etc., would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

rkg
(Richard George)