Re: Concrete: Fiber vs mesh

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Concrete: Fiber vs mesh
From: "dave rann" <rdavid205@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:46:03 -0700
Fiber reinforcement actually works quite well especially on a thin (4") slab.
The wire mesh reinforcement is extremely difficult to keep at a consistent
level
during a pour and is often stepped on and pushed to the bottom serving no
usefull purpose. If you are paying a contractor to do the work, I think you
will
find no cost savings in using wire mesh.

If the fibers are offensive, one can burn them down with a weed burner;
although
this is not a perfect solution it will get you by. I have noticed one problem
with fiber is that it seems to wick spills into the concrete causing a very
minor staining. No problem really, though.

Since you have decided to do the better floor, how about considering a 5" slab
with rebar using 4,000PSI concrete. You could tie the rebar yourself, saving
some bucks and end up with a solid floor.

Dave