Re: furnace question (again)

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: furnace question (again)
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:42:17 -0800
Just a single unit failure (I think) but the fraser-johnson furnace we had
put into our last house self destructed its exhaust boost blower (simple
squirrel
cage fan - but the only way to replace it without waiting two weeks for the
fanblade was to
replace it and the motor as a [pricy] unit) after about 18 months.  It
completely
rusted away.  I was told after the fact that the chimney stack was probably
too big; it wanted more of a restriction to speed up the exhaust flow so the
corrosive gases wouldn't stick around too long.
But why didn't they make the fan out of stainless or even plastic?  And if
they
didn't think about that part who knows what lurks in the rest of the beast.
I recommend avoiding that brand.  YMMV.

Mark Miller