Pipe threading?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pipe threading?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:40:34 -0400
   I am repairing my hot tub, and have a bit of an impasse.

   The original drain fitting, I learned the hard way, wasn't screwed
into the threaded port on a T-junction. It was one size too small, so
the manufacturer just epoxied it in the hole.

   I learned the hard way when it was leaking and I tried to twist to
tighten it, and it snapped off in my hand. (the tub is in my basement so
it was quite a mess)

   The original threads are probably unusable because of the blob of
epoxy in there.

   Cutting out the section is an option, but it's in a complicated
section so it would be hard to splice.

   How hard would it be to tap them for new threads? There's enough
plastic to drill out and go a little bigger. The resulting hole would
probably work to be about the size of a garden hose thread or one step
larger...

   I've done a lot of tapping with metal, but I've never done it with
pipe threads before. (which are conical, aren't they?)

   Is there a simple hand tool I could buy and have at it? It's just
soft plastic so I know it'll cut, I'm just unsure how it works with pipe
threads instead of parallel threads.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca