Re: Pipe threading?

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Pipe threading?
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:50:45 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>

>    I am repairing my hot tub, and have a bit of an impasse.
>
>    The original drain fitting, I learned the hard way, wasn't screwed
> into the threaded port on a T-junction. It was one size too small, so
> the manufacturer just epoxied it in the hole.
>    The original threads are probably unusable because of the blob of
> epoxy in there.
>    How hard would it be to tap them for new threads? There's enough
> plastic to drill out and go a little bigger. The resulting hole would
> probably work to be about the size of a garden hose thread or one step
> larger...

Can you clean up what is there by drilling it out to a smooth wall and then
glue in a piece of pipe?  If it doesn't fit a standard pipe size you could
perhaps take the next size up of thick wall pipe and turn it down so it
fits.

Clearly it would be easiest to clean the epoxy out, but that might be a
major pain.

Another option would be to epoxy in a smaller piece of pipe, with a bunch of
epoxy.  It may slow down the drain process, but speed up the repair time.

Let us know how it works out,

Mark Miller.