RE: Pipe threading?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Pipe threading?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:23:53 -0700
>    How hard would it be to tap them for new threads? There's enough
> plastic to drill out and go a little bigger. The resulting hole would
> probably work to be about the size of a garden hose thread or one step
> larger...

Are you sure you can't chip out enough of the epoxy to get a tap into the
original threads ?  That's what I would try to do ...

>    I've done a lot of tapping with metal, but I've never done it with
> pipe threads before. (which are conical, aren't they?)

Yes, common pipe threads are tapered.  However garden hose threads are not.

>    Is there a simple hand tool I could buy and have at it? It's just
> soft plastic so I know it'll cut, I'm just unsure how it works with pipe
> threads instead of parallel threads.

Easiest is to just get a tap for pipe threads.  It will have the taper built
into it, which means you don't run it all the way through like you might
with an ordinary straight thread tap.

Your local hardware store should have pipe taps.

Randall