Re: New Idea for flooring

To: Eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: New Idea for flooring
From: Michael Lye <mlye@risd.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:53:46 -0400
Large quantities of used tires wouldn't be a problem, chipping or
shredding them would be possible, but melting them would be the
problem. Vulcanized rubber won't melt and then reset. They are,
unfortunately not a thermoplastic.

I believe some running tracks use shredded tire rubber as a component,
as do some asphalt  for roads but tires are a real problem to reuse in
any useful way. If you could find a way to do something (maybe using
the rubber as part of the floor but binding with something else) you
might have a very useful product with at least partially low cost raw
materials.

Just don't experiment in your kitchen. Pheww!

Michael