RE: Fixing my Spa

To: "Mike Rambour" <mikey@b2systems.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fixing my Spa
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:55:57 -0700
>     This weekend it started popping the circuit breaker after running the
> jets approximately 20 seconds, it is on a GFCI circuit breaker.
> The heater
> pump and heater works fine, its just when I turn on the jets pump.  There
> is a different sound than usual, more like a electrical humming when the
> pump is on but the jets appear fine for maybe 20 seconds and pop.
>
>     How do I test this out to see what is wrong ?

Disconnect the motor leads from the GFCI (all 3 of them), then use an
ohmmeter to check for leakage between the ground and neutral.  Use the
highest scale you've got ... IMO anything less than a megohm (1,000,000
ohms) is suspect.

If the resistance is low, you can try disconnecting the wires at the motor
and testing again on the motor terminals ... but my guess is that it will be
the motor itself.  If the housing is grungy, might be worth cleaning it and
trying again, some mud can be pretty conductive.

Randall