Re: carry around tool kit.

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: carry around tool kit.
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:28:09 -0500
>Towing insurance can be really cheap if added in with your car insurance.
>State Farm charges us $3.80 every 6-month policy period.  That's per car, so
>in total for our 3 modern cars we pay $22.80 per year.  I don't insure any
>of my collector cars with them, so I don't know if the rates would be the
>same for a Triumph or whatever.  I bet towing insurance for an MG would cost
>LOTS more though   ;-)

State Farm charges less than $5/six months for my Land-Rover.  I'm
much too lazy to check if that's the same as my other car, or not.

>And they will tow to your house, not just to the towing company's shop.  You
>hire any towing operator you wish - you can call the same guy AAA uses or
>anyone else you choose.  All you do is pay the towing operator and then
>submit the bill to your insurance agent.  I've had a few tows over the
>years, I've been paid 100% each time and I've never even had to explain
>where or why I needed a tow.

That depends on the insurance company.  We tow where I work, and I've
fielded calls from insurance companies wanting to know why we towed a
car to this dealer instead of the closer one.  ("The customer paid us
to." tends to throw them for a loop.)

>Towing coverage is listed as "Emergency road service" on the insurance
>bill - presumably they'll pay for other road service (like a jump start or
>tire service), but I never asked.

Depending on the policy, it'll cover things like road service (tire
changing, fuel delivery, jump starting, and lock outs) as well as
towing.  There's usually a coverage cap.