Re: Drilling 4" hole through concrete

To: Justin Bedard <juice@lerch.org>, shop talk
Subject: Re: Drilling 4" hole through concrete
From: Dave C <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:29:34 -0800
At 12:48 PM 12/23/2003 -0500, Justin Bedard wrote:
>My question is: what's the best way to drill a 4" hole through concrete?

Everyone else seemed to answer a bunch of questions you didn't ask, so I'll
answer the one you did.  The best way would be to go to a good industrial
tool rental place and rent a core drill.  It's like a hole saw on
steroids.   It has it's own motor and tripod, all you need to add is power
and water.  Rebar and the reinforcing aggregate won't be a problem; the
diamond edged cutter will cut through them just like butter.  When you are
finished you'll have a perfect hole with practically polished sides, a nice
concrete core that will make a good door stop, and a big puddle of water
full of concrete dust.  If you hire a concrete cutting company, that's
exactly what they will do, too.

As for humidity and excess duct length, the other guys had some real good
advice.  I'd listen to it.

Dave C