Re: driveway?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: driveway?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:51:06 -0500
Scott,

I have a driveway done in Unilock pavers.  They have a web site with useful
info at www.unilock.com.  Unilock pavers are used for driveways all the
time.  I don't know what the Home Depot is offering, but for the Unilock
pavers, the only difference is in base preparation.  The mixture of "stuff"
that goes down as the base should be thicker for a driveway.  Here in New
York we use what is called "Item 4", but it seems like every hundred miles
people have a different name for it.  This job is all about the base.  The
thickness of the base, and the compaction of the base are the important
things.  Anybody can lay out  pavers in a pattern.  I don't recall the
details of your rant, but keep in mind that this is not a small job.  I
live near a Unilock plant.  They have special discount deals once in a
while for the DIY crowd.  By the time you factor in delivery, delivery of
base and sand, and rental of a plate compactor, it is possible to exceed
the price a professional would charge.  I'm not saying you shouldn't do it
yourself, especially if you're big and strong, own a pickup and have time
on your hands.  I'm just saying that you should run the numbers and see
what you're getting yourself into.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net