Re: Balancing wheels@home

To: shiples@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Balancing wheels@home
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:28:46 -0700
Yeah - A heavier car will tolerate more wheel jiggling than a light car.
It is a matter of the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight. Unsprung
weight is the weight of the wheel, tire & moving suspension parts.
Sprung weight is everything else.

To illustrate - a 2000 lb car which has a wheel/unsprung weight of 50
pounds will be bounced around more by the wheel thrashing around (from
bumps & unbalance) than would a car weighing 4000 pounds with the same
50 pound unsprung weight. This is one of the reasons that heavy cars
seem to ride smoother. The only way around the problem is to make the
unsprung weight proportionally less on the light car. This is difficult
& expensive to do.

Dave Russell