Re: Balancing wheels@home

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Balancing wheels@home
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:56:32 -0800
At 09:43 AM 12/14/2003 -0500, Steven W. Reilly wrote:

>Hey All,
>
>I have a set of 4 chevy wheels that I would like to try and balance at
>home.  I was wondering if I was to machine a 3" round piece of aluminum to
>fit/seat exactly inside the wheel center, would I be able to balance it by
>stringing it from the middle to the shop ceiling?  Other ideas would be
>welcome, but I just happened to have a 5" piece of solid 3" round stock
>and thought I may be able to use that (or half of it).

Some cars need a better wheel balance than others.   My
Europa shook even after the wheel and tire assemblies were "computer"
balanced on modern equipment at the local tire store.  This system has
worked fine on my Eagle Talon and F-100.  Don't know why this occurs other
than noting that the Europa weighs at least 2000 pounds less   I'll leave it to
the reader to determine if adding large weights to the vehicle will
eliminate the
need to add small weights to the wheels.

There's an alignment shop in Seattle that has an old wheel balancing system
that spins the wheel as it is mounted on the car.  The Europa was totally
smooth
after having the on-car balance.  I understand this is the preferred method
for balancing
wire wheels as well.

Steve Shipley