Balancing wheels@home

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Balancing wheels@home
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:43:28 -0500
Hey All,

I have a set of 4 chevy wheels that I would like to try and balance at
home.  I was wondering if I was to machine a 3" round piece of aluminum to
fit/seat exactly inside the wheel center, would I be able to balance it by
stringing it from the middle to the shop ceiling?  Other ideas would be
welcome, but I just happened to have a 5" piece of solid 3" round stock and
thought I may be able to use that (or half of it).

Also, I notice that some rims are balanced by means of 1 weight on both
sides of the rim; how will balancing using 1 weight on one side affect this?

Thanks,
Steve Reilly